Road and footpath applications

road reserve.png

A road reserve is the area between property boundaries. It can be made up of road, verges, cycle lanes, footpaths and other areas constructed for public travel. In situations where a resident would like to use the road reserve for a particular purpose an application needs to be submitted to the responsible road authority. For most local roads Council is the road authority. If the activity impacts a Transport for NSW main road or its property boundary you will need to contact them directly. Where an activity impacts both a Council road and a state main road you will need to inform both us and Transport for NSW.

You can identify the correct road authority using the Lake Macquarie Road Authority Map.

Use our Road Reserve Application Decision Tool to help determine which application you need to lodge in order to perform the desired activity on your road reserve. 

If you need to apply for a permanent road closure and road lease application please contact our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333.