Register a food business

All retail food businesses must notify their local council before they begin to trade. These businesses include:

Retail butchers and wholesale food businesses must register with the NSW Food Authority

All other food businesses should register via the method below.


Step 1.Contact a Duty Planner

You may require Council consent to operate your business, even if a managing agent or owner has given you permission to operate. Before notifying Council of your business, please contact Council’s Duty Planner to discuss your enquiry and whether planning approval is required. Council’s Duty Planner can be contacted on 02 4921 0333 or email [email protected]

Step 2.Register with ASIC

As well as registering with Council, food businesses operating in Lake Macquarie must also register with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).


Step 3.Appoint a Food Safety Supervisor

In most cases, food businesses must have a Food Safety Supervisor appointed in the business.

Step 4.Gather your documents

In order for Council to assess your application, you must ensure you provide a copy of your ABN and/or ACN registration certificate as part of this application.

You will also need to provide your DA or CDC reference number demonstrating consent for operating your business at the premises.

Step 5.Register with Council