We are committed to ensuring that the local community can participate in the decisions that affect their lives and our environment.
Let's Shape Lake Mac - Community Engagement Strategy 2022-2024 outlines our approach to engaging with the community and stakeholders. It provides transparency and clarity for all stakeholders so they can understand their role in the decision-making process and outlines who, when and how we will engage on plans and policies.
Shape Lake Mac
Shape Lake Mac is Council's community engagement portal. It's a space to have your say on issues and topics that are important to you, at a time and place of your choice. It is quick, safe and convenient, and a great way to keep up to date and contribute your views on issues affecting your community. You can also see what other community members think about a topic or issue, respond with your own views and engage in a discussion.
Community Participation Plan
The NSW Government requires all councils in NSW to prepare a Community Participation Plan to set out how and when we will engage with our community on the planning functions Council performs under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
Council committees are a way for the community to provide input on a range of issues and help us to deliver objectives under the Community Strategic Plan.
We have four types of committees:
- Reference committees are focused on addressing a specific action, project or deliverable, and provides insight or expertise to inform existing Council activities.
- Grants assessment committees assess applications for funding from grants programs that are offered by Council.
- Recommendation committees make formal recommendations to the elected Council about matters of strategic priority.
- Awards committees make binding decisions about award recipients on behalf of the city.
Opportunities to get involved with our committees become available from time to time.
Committees which include community representation are:
- Lake Macquarie Coastal Zone Management Committee Provides guidance and assistance to Council on coastal, estuary and floodplain management, in accordance with the NSW Coastal Zone Management Manual and NSW Floodplain Development Manual.
- Aboriginal Grants Committee Recommends allocation of Council's annual NAIDOC Week grant funding
- Heritage Committee Recommends allocation of Local Heritage Funding for projects that have the greatest benefit to the protection, enhancement or celebration of heritage in Lake Macquarie City. The committee also provides advice on other heritage matters of community interest and initiatives to advance the Lake Macquarie Heritage Strategy 2014.
- Community Environment Grants Committee Recommends funding under the Community Environment Grants program
- Access and Inclusion Advisory Panel Represents interests of older people, carers, and people with disability to ensure equity of access to services and facilities for all residents.
- Lake Mac Youth Council Acts as a voice for young people and provides advice to Council and stakeholders from the perspective of young people in Lake Macquarie City. Visit the Facebook page to get the latest news on the Youth Council.
- Cultural Collections Consultative Committee Supports the delivery of the Lake Macquarie City Council Cultural Collections Strategy by representing the interests of the community and arts and cultural industry.
- Aquatic Services Committee Advises Council about foreshore aquatic facilities and discusses issues relating to lake usage.
- Lake Mac Awards Committee Supports the delivery of the Lake Mac Awards and makes binding decisions about award recipients on behalf of the city.
- Lake Macquarie Business Excellenece Awards Committee Supports the delivery of the Lake Macquarie Business Excellence Awards and makes binding decisions about award recipients on behalf of the city.
If you'd like to know more about these committees, please contact [email protected].