Development Application

If you're planning to build or renovate, it's likely you'll need to submit a Development Application (DA) to gain consent from Council. A DA is a formal request for consent to carry out a proposed development, such as:

  • building, earthworks, landscaping and other works
  • demolishing a structure
  • changing the use of land
  • subdividing land or strata subdividing buildings
  • adjusting property boundaries.

Your DA must be approved before work can begin on your development.


Step 1.Register or log in

To apply for a Development Application online, you must be registered or log in via the NSW Planning Portal.

You can apply for Construction Certificates, Subdivision Certificates and Occupation Certificates as part of the Development Application process.

 Register or log in

Step 2.Gather your documents

The type of information that accompanies a Development Application will vary depending on your proposal and site. This may include:

  • Owner's Consent(PDF, 74KB)
  • Statement of Environmental Effects
  • Plans of the proposed development (including site plan, floor plans, elevations and sections)
  • Plans demonstrating proposed landscaping
  • Plans of existing development (if being retained wholly or partly)
  • Subdivision plans (if subdivision is proposed)
  • Hunter Water stamping (supply of water & sewer)
  • Stormwater plan
  • BASIX Certificate (if applicable), and plans demonstrating commitments

Your Development Application should address all relevant matters, up-front, in your Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE) and plans and reports. This will help to avoid additional information requests, and will help to ensure an efficient and smooth process.

A range of plans and documents, as outlined in Schedule 1 of the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000, must be submitted with your application. The specific plans and documents will vary depending on your development.

Step 3.Lodge

Once you have all the required documentation, you're ready to lodge your Development Application. You'll need to upload electronic versions of the required documentation in order to complete you application.

Lodge a Development Application

Step 4.Pay

Lodgement fees will be calculated by Council staff and provided to you in writing after we've received your Development Application.

Your Development Application will not be determined until all outstanding fees have been paid.

Make a payment