Council's privacy practices are regulated by the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIP Act) (NSW), Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIP Act) (NSW) and Council's Privacy Management Plan.
Council is committed to protecting your personal information and recognises that your privacy is very important to you.
Important information to know
If you believe Council has misused your personal information you can lodge an application for an internal review. This is an internal investigation to assess if Council has complied with its privacy obligations. During the investigation Council will advise and consult with the NSW Privacy Commissioner.
Prior to submitting an application please ensure you review how personal information and health information is defined under Section 4 of the PPIP Act and Section 6 of the HRIP Act.
What is personal information?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an individual, where their identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained.
Details of what is identified as personal information is provided in Section 4 of the PPIP Act. Examples of personal information include:
- written records which may include your name, address, phone number or email address
- electronic records, photographs, images, video or audio recordings
What is health information?
Health information under Section 6 of the HRIP Act is defined as 'personal information that is information or an opinion about the physical, mental health or disability of a person, an individual's express wishes about the future provision of health services to him or her, a health service provided or to be provided, or any other personal information collected to provide or in providing a health service'.
Gather your information
If you are seeking a review of the conduct of Lake Macquarie City Council in relation to your privacy, as part of your application you will need to provide the following:
- Details of the specific conduct that you are concerned about, for example, the 'conduct' may be a decision to refuse you access to your personal information, the action of disclosing your personal information to another person, or a failure to protect your personal information.
- You can upload any documentation that supports your privacy complaint at the end of the form.
- If you are making the complaint more than six months from the date of the conduct you will require special permission. Council will contact you to discuss further once we have received your application.
Once you have gathered your documents you can apply online by completing the form below, or by submitting a written request to council via email or post. You will need to upload electronic versions of any supporting documentation in order to complete your application online.