Awaba landfill expansion
- Project value$29.57 million
- Contractor nameDaracon
- Completion Date31 October 2019
Works expand Council's only landfill at Awaba are now complete. The expansion project will increase landfill space by 2.5 million tonnes and extend the lifespan of the facility by an estimated 20 years.
The expansion involves:
- the construction of two additional excavated landfill cells
- the continual placement of waste over the active landfill area
- the construction of a pipeline between the facility and Hunter Water Corporation's Waste Water Pump Station at Rathmines for leachate disposal
The existing onsite facilities will also be upgraded as part of the project with:
- a new weighbridge
- Community Recycling Centre and amenities building
- a waste transfer station to aid efficiency and limit vehicle traffic at the tip face
A Biodiversity Offset Strategy was developed to comply with the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 approval of the Awaba Waste Management Facility. Council manages the Awaba Biodiversity Conservation Area to compensate for the the loss of Tetratheca juncea plants arising from the construction of the facility. The Biodiversity Offset Strategy has been approved and implemented, with the offset area protected by a restrictive covenant on the land title, and the land managed by Council in accordance with the Awaba Biodiversity Conservation Area Plan of Management 2015. Council has also complied with relevant notification requirements of the approval, including providing information on our website.
In June 2012, based on engineering and financial analysis, Council resolved to pursue a development application to expand the capacity of the landfill facility within the current property boundary.
In May 2013, Council's application to expand the Awaba Waste Management Facility was approved by the NSW Planning Assessment Commission.
To review the Department of Planning and Infrastructures assessment, visit planning.nsw.gov.au.
367 Wilton Road, Awaba 2283 View in Google Maps