Green waste bin
Find out your weekly green waste bin collection day by visiting my.lakemac.com.au or by checking the calendar on the front of your Waste Services Guide.
Your green bin is collected weekly and is taken to the Lake Macquarie Organics Resource Recovery Facility and processed into Australian Standard compost. It will be used on gardens, parks and in agriculture.
All food scraps and garden waste go into your green bin. Find out more information on what goes into which bin.
Tips on garden waste
- The maximum size for branches is 10cm in diameter and 30cm long. Branches bigger than this could jam the moving parts of the green waste truck.
- The maximum weight of your green waste bin is 80 kilograms.
- To ensure your bin isn't too heavy, please mow your lawn when it's dry.
- Put sticks or dry leaves in the bottom of the bin before lawn clippings to prevent sticking.
- Place materials loosely in bin.
- Don't squash your green waste down.
- If you have garden waste that is too large to fit in your green waste bin, it can be put on the kerb at your twice yearly bulk waste collection.
- Drop off large quantities of green waste at Awaba Waste Management Facility (for a fee).
What if my bin is missed or damaged
Please call our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333.
Can I order additional bins
You can order an extra 240 litre green waste service by simply applying online, or contact our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333. Fees and charges apply.
What if I move to a new property
The green waste bin is the property of the waste contractor, is individually numbered and must remain at the property when you move. You can write your address on the bin but it cannot be used as a garbage or recycling bin, nor can the lid be changed.
To organise a green waste service for your new property, simply apply online or contact our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333.
Contamination in your green waste bin
If unacceptable materials are found in your green waste bin, it may not be emptied. A sticker will be put on your bin and your bin will only be emptied once the offending items have been removed. If your green waste bin is stickered three times you will receive a final warning letter and if your bin is contaminated again your green waste service may be suspended.
What are the five key benefits of the green waste bin service
- It is the most cost-effective way to deal with our City's waste.
- It increases the lifespan of our only landfill at Awaba.
- It is a convenient way to deal with grass clippings and other garden waste.
- The mulch and compost produced from the collected green waste can be used on parks, home gardens, sporting grounds and in agriculture.
- It makes our City more environmentally sustainable.
Special needs waste collection
Council provides a special needs waste collection service, commonly known as a Blue Dot Service for those who are unable to take their bin to and from the kerb due to a medical condition. Council will collect your bin from an agreed location from your property and return it to you emptied.
To apply for a Blue Dot Service, please complete and return the Blue Dot Service application form signed by your general practitioner.
Condition of service
Council reserves the right to establish alternative bin collection locations for residents and businesses as a condition of service provision, to ensure safe and efficient waste collection operations.
Page last updated: 19 October 2018