Most of us rely on our cars everyday – whether it's for work or uni, taking the kids to school, or for social activities. Having a car stolen is stressful, inconvenient and costly and it happens more often than you think.
- A vehicle is stolen every twelve minutes in Australia
- Lake Macquarie had the fourth highest number of vehicle thefts out of the 130 NSW Local Government Areas in 2017
- In about half of these cases, the vehicle was stolen from the owner’s home
- Vehicles are one of the most common targets in home burglaries, with keys being the only item stolen in almost one in four break-and-enter cases
- Victims pay an average of $5,000 in out of pocket expenses after their vehicle is stolen
Vehicle security pop-up stalls
Residents can chat to Council staff about how to reduce the risk of car theft at pop-up stalls, with free giveaways including property marking kits and car key safes.
- Monday 4 June, 10am-1pm, Cardiff Shopping Centre
- Friday 8 June, 10am-1pm, Belmont Shopping Centre
What can I do?
Vehicle security begins at home.
The first step to keeping your vehicle secure is to practice good home security. Find more information about how you can improve your home security.
You can also try these simple tips to safeguard your vehicle keys:
- Keep vehicle keys out of sight when you’re at home – never leave them near doors and windows
- Always lock your vehicle and never leave the keys inside
- Don’t include your name and address on key ring tags
Page last updated: 30 January 2019