Parks and playgrounds
You can find a full list of Lake Macquarie's playgrounds, parks, picnic spots, foreshore parks, dog exercise areas and regional parks in our Community Directory.
Parks for hire
Many of Lake Macquarie's parks are available to hire for small gatherings through to large corporate events. To see a full list of parks and to find out how to hire a park, see our Hire a park page.
If you are a personal trainer wanting to conduct classes in one of our parks, fees apply. Call us on 02 4921 0333 to arrange a schedule.
Personal trainers can also conduct fitness classes at a number of our Swim Centres. Groups will have access to a designated outdoor space, well-lit grounds, toilets and showers onsite.
Hire fee is $25 per hour. This program is available at Charlestown, Speers Point, Swansea and West Wallsend Swim Centres. Space is subject to availability. Conditions apply.
For more information or to book, call 02 4921 0333.
Our 110 playgrounds have fun equipment for kids of all ages. Some of our playgrounds are fully fenced, providing a safe environment for toddlers and young children to enjoy.
There are many off-lead areas located in Lake Macquarie where you can let your dog run free, however it must be under constant supervision. Even when on a lead, dogs are prohibited in the following areas:
- Green Point Reserve
- school grounds
- shopping centres
- dining places, except premises whose owners allow dogs
- public swimming areas
- child care centres
Free barbecues and picnic tables are available to use at some parks. Search for barbecue and picnic areas in your area
To locate a public toilet in Lake Macquarie or for information on public toilets throughout Australia, please visit the National Public Toilet Map.
Accessible facilities with Master Locksmith Access Key (MLAK)
MLAK is a universal lock and key system that allows people with a disability access to public facilities 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including wheelchair accessible toilets and Liberty swings.
Council is continuing to implement the MLAK system to some of our amenities.
The MLAK system restricts usage to eligible persons and organisations. The system is supported and promoted by major disability groups throughout Australia as a means of ensuring people with disabilities have access to toilet facilities.
Places fitted with MLAK
- Blacksmiths Beach - accessible toilet/change facility in park near surf club
- Caves Beach – accessible toilet near picnic area
- Charlestown Swim Centre - accessible toilet near picnic area
- Morisset Swim Centre - accessible toilet/change facility
- Pelican Foreshore – accessible toilet
- Speers Point Swim Centre - accessible toilet/change facility
- Speers Point Park - accessible toilet in the main amenity block, accessible change facility and Liberty swing in the all abilities Variety Playground
- Swansea Swim Centre - accessible change facility
- Toronto Swim Centre - accessible change facility
- Toronto Lions Park (Fennell Bay) – accessible toilet
- Dora Creek – accessible toilet attached to Dora Creek Memorial Hall
- Toronto Foreshore – accessible toilet
- West Wallsend Swim Centre - accessible change facility
Keys can be purchased from a member of a Master Locksmiths Association.
Eligibility to purchase a MLAK key is restricted to people with a disability who have a letter of authority from their doctor or other health or disability service provider. The letter needs to outline the reason as to why the person with a disability requires a MLAK key.
View the listing of local members and Council's contract locksmith
Hire a park
Book one of Lake Macquarie's parks to hold your event or special occasion
Find a playground
Search for playgrounds in Lake Macquarie
We have nine skate parks for skaters of all skill levels
Page last updated: 09 July 2018