Environmental sustainability grants
Council's environmental sustainability grants
The Lake Macquarie Environmental Sustainability Grants Program is designed to support community-initiated projects that improve our local environment and inspire environmentally sustainable behaviour within Lake Macquarie City.
The grants are offered twice a year. Round One 2019-2020 closed Monday 19 August 2019. Round Two 2019-2020 will open early 2020.
The grants process is competitive, so to ensure your application has the best chance of success, you should familiarise yourself with the Guidelines and Application Form. You should also contact the nominated Sustainability Engagement Officer on 4921 0333 to discuss your project before you apply.
How do I apply?
Grant guidelines and application links will become available once the grant round opens. Once the grant round opens:
- Carefully read the Guidelines for applicants
- Attend the information session (optional but encouraged)
- Complete the application form and return to Council
Who can apply?
Not-for-profit community organisations such as groups, clubs and school P&C groups located or operating within Lake Macquarie are eligible to apply.
How much money is available?
Up to $3000 is available per grant application. The number of grant applications funded each round is limited.
What types of projects can receive funding?
Community based sustainability projects that meet the grant guidelines and benefit the local environment and the community are eligible for funding.
Sustainability is not just about veggie gardens and compost bins, think broadly about what your group could do to:
- encourage sustainable community behaviours (for example reduce resource consumption, increase adoption of active transport).
- reduce food or general waste, or encourage the community to recycle, upcycle or swap
- educate, enrich and inspire the community through sustainability-related activities
- reduce the carbon footprint of the Lake Macquarie community
- improve biodiversity and ecosystem protection.
Past projects funded
|Toronto High School Parents and Citizens||Outdoor Learning Space to incorporate native cottage and bush tucker gardens to enhance habitat, Aboriginal cultural heritage and knowledge of sustainable water management.||$3,000|
|Dudley Community Garden||Dudley Community Garden is established and active. This project seeks to value-add to the garden by developing, promoting and holding workshops to engage and educate the wider community.||$3,000|
|Redhead, LT Creek, Dudley and Toronto Areas Sustainable Neighbourhood Groups||Research, design, production and distribution of a brochure Out and About with your Dog in Lake Macquarie City to promote responsible dog care across the Lake Macquarie City.||$946|
Page last updated: 26 August 2019