Noise control

What you can do about neighbourhood noise

Noise from alarms, machines, air-conditioners, power tools, and other sources can create a nuisance and may affect the enjoyment of your neighbourhood.

In the first instance, approaching the person making the noise may solve the problem amicably. Often people are unaware that their activities are negatively affecting others.

Contact the Community Justice Centre who may be able to assist in mediating and solving noise nuisance problems.

If the noise is a constant problem you can apply for a Noise Abatement Orders from the local court under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997.

Council addresses noise nuisances in accordance with our Noise Control Policy, taking action if the noise is considered a public nuisance. For specific time restrictions for residential noise sources, see the EPA website on preventing neighbourhood noise.

For further information or advice please contact our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333 or email us at

Report a noise control issue online

Nuisance dogs and cats

If the noise is from a nuisance dog or cat please visit our Pet laws page for information about the steps to follow to resolve any noise issues.

Page last updated: 10 July 2019