Trees on neighbouring properties

 If the tree is on a neighbouring property, you need to contact the owner and discuss the need to have the tree pruned or removed. We encourage neighbours to discuss and agree on tree matters.

If the neighbouring property owner agrees to the tree's pruning or removal, the Application to Prune or Remove a Tree needs to be completed and sent to Council with the property owner's signature. When the tree is on a shared boundary of private properties, written consent is required from all property owners.

If the property owner does not agree to the tree pruning or removal, you can still lodge the application. Council will assess the tree from your property and provide written advice for appropriate works. Council consent is not required if less than 10% of the canopy is proposed to be pruned. Council recommends a qualified arborist is sought to undertake any pruning works.

If the trunk of the tree on the neighbouring property, measured at 1.4 metres in height, is located within five metres of the outermost projection of an approved building or structure on your property, we will need a written agreement from the owners of both properties before the tree is removed. The agreement needs to be addressed to the attention of Council's Tree Assessment Officer. No application to prune or remove a tree is required to be lodged.

Council does not have the authority to enter into disputes between neighbours about trees. This is deemed a civil matter covered by NSW state legislation Trees (Disputes Between Neighbours) Act 2006. You can seek legal advice from a solicitor, the Community Justice Centre, Chamber Magistrate at your Local Court, or the Land and Environment Court. 

Overhanging branches from native trees

Branches from native trees overhanging from a neighbouring property can be pruned back to the boundary as long as pruning does not exceed 10% of the tree canopy. Pruning works are to be carried out in accordance with acceptable industry standards. Pruning that exceeds 10% is subject to an application to Council. 

You should discuss the pruning with your neighbour first and work should be carried out by a qualified arborist.

Offcuts are green waste and should be disposed in your green waste bin. In the interests of maintaining good neighbourly relations, offcuts are not to be thrown back onto the neighbouring property.

Page last updated: 06 October 2017