Agreement reached for Munibung Road extension
Date posted: 24 July 2019
Council has agreed on the terms for an access licence with KPMG to allow construction of the Munibung Road extension. KPMG has merged with Ferrier Hodgson and is the new administrator of the land.
Lake Macquarie City Council’s Deputy CEO Tony Farrell, said Council and KPMG have executed the agreement, meaning the pre-construction process can now begin.
“This is a significant milestone in the project and the absence of this agreement has been delaying its progress.We are now working with the previous tenderers for the project to update their tenders, finalise arrangements with other affected parties, and seek to have the tender awarded, and construction underway as soon as possible,” said Mr Farrell.
The Munibung Road extension is integral to the development of the North-West Catalyst Area and will significantly improve connectivity around the City’s northern and western suburbs.
“It has taken a significant amount of work to get to this point and we acknowledge the Australian Government’s patience and the support of the NSW Government in reaching a solution.
“Our focus now is to deliver the project for the community as soon as possible, which will immediately provide faster, smoother and safer journeys for residents and road users, while benefiting local business and laying a foundation for future growth”.
The project is funded by the Australian Government through the Building Better Regions Fund and Lake Macquarie City Council.
Project by numbers
- 820m of new road, footpath and street lighting
- 66 trees and associated landscaping
- 14-metre road width with cycle-safe lane
- Estimated nine-month construction duration, subject to the successful tenderer’s program
- Former Pasminco site is 210 hectares, including 132 hectares of developable area
- The road is a catalyst for development of more than 800 new homes and 20 additional hectares of employment generating land – on top of existing 20 ha already redeveloped for light industrial (extension of Cardiff Industrial and Bunnings)
Page last updated: 24 July 2019