The Sustainable Neighbourhoods program empowers community members to act on local environmental, sustainability and community initiatives. The program aims to:
- Protect and enhance the natural environment.
- Reduce individual, household, and collective resource consumption.
- Develop community capacity to prepare for and respond effectively to environmental threats such as natural disasters.
- Encourage community spirit, and increase community resilience, connectedness and wellbeing.
- Encourage and enable people to participate fully and equitably in community life.
- Promote community responsibility and management for sustainable outcomes.
What Sustainable Neighbourhood groups do
Sustainable Neighbourhood groups consist of community volunteers who work together on a range of projects.
Each group develops a Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan to identify their community vision, values and project priorities.
Project examples include:
- Community celebrations and social events
- Reduce & reuse car boot sales
- Repair café events
- Waste to Art exhibition
- Reusable bag sewing workshops
- Community gardens
- Sustainable living workshops
- Nature play activities
- Support for Landcare activities
- Litter clean ups
The Lake Macquarie Sustainable Neighbourhood Alliance (Inc) supports Sustainable Neighbourhood Groups across the City.
Get involved in a local project, meet your neighbours and learn new skills. Sustainable Neighbourhood groups are always looking for new volunteers to help make our neighbourhoods more sustainable.
- Find a group near you and get in touch.
- Subscribe to the Sustainable Neighbourhoods News enewsletter.
- Attend an upcoming event
- To find out more visit sustainableneighbourhoods.org.au.
Page last updated: 16 July 2018