Plumbing and drainage inspection process

Notice: This process is for plumbing and drainage works where Council is the plumbing regulator. Where Hunter Water services the subject property, please go to the NSW Fair Trading webpage to book your inspection.

Inspection process

Lodging a Notice of Work

A Notice of Work (NoW) is a form that specifies the plumbing and drainage work to be carried out.

By law, plumbers and drainers must submit a Notice of Work before starting work, except in some circumstances, for instance, the legislation exempts emergency work and minor works if the location of fixtures does not change.

You can lodge the Notice of Works with Council online, in person or by post. When a Notice of Works is submitted, Council generates a plumbing and drainage application, allocating a plumbing and drainage reference number. You will need to use that number in further interaction with Council.

Paying inspection fees

You will need to pay a plumbing and drainage inspection fee when you lodge an application.

There are two types of fees:

  1. New works (up to four inspections).
  2. Refit or alter (up to two inspections).

Council may charge for required additional inspections.

Lodge a Notice of Works

Booking inspections

Once the plumbing and drainage application has been lodged and the fees have been paid, you may be required to book an inspection. Inspections are required when:

Inspections are generally required when:

Inspections are available between 7am and 3pm on weekdays. You can book your inspection online or by calling 02 4921 0333.

Note: Watagan Park Estate Cooranbong has two water and sewerage authorities, Hunter Water Corporation and Flow Systems Pty Ltd. To simplify the inspection process, Council and Fair Trading have agreed that Fair Trading will carry out all inspection work defined under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 within this estate.

If your property lies within Watagan Park Estate Cooranbong, book your inspection online or contact NSW Fair Trading on 1300 889 099.

Submitting documentation at final inspection

The following documentation is required to be submitted to Council by a licensed plumber and drainer at the final inspection;

You can submit SSDs, Certificate of Compliance and any other documentation to Council by email, post, or in person.

Page last updated: 14 November 2018