Steps after approval

Once you have obtained development consent, there are a number of other applications, certificates or notices your proposal may require.

Construction certificates

A construction certificate is an approval to carry out building work or subdivision work in accordance with a development consent. You must obtain a Construction Certificate before works can commence.

You may lodge an application with Council for a Construction Certificate at the same time you lodge an application for development consent, or after development consent is granted.

To lodge your application for a Construction Certificate after you have obtained development consent, you have two choices:

A Construction Certificate is not required for complying development.

Notice of Commencement of Building and Subdivision Works

After you have obtained development consent and an approved construction certificate, you must give at least two days notice to Council of your intention to start building or subdivision works.

The Notice of Commencement advises Council who you have nominated as your principal certifying authority for your development, the date you intend to start works, and the details of the builder for your development (either the licensed builder or owner builder).

Modification of consent

You may apply to modify your development consent provided that the proposed development as modified is still substantially the same development. Section 4.55 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 stipulates the requirements for modification of consents. There are three categories that a modification of consent may fall into:

To modify a consent, you must complete the relevant application form and lodge this along with the relevant plans to the consent authority.

If the proposed modification does not fall into one of the above categories, you must lodge a new development application.

Page last updated: 23 March 2018