Integrated development

Integrated development requires approval to be obtained from other public authorities before consent can be granted by Council..

Integrated development can only be obtained through seeking development consent and one or more of the approvals listed in Section 4.46 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment (EP&A) Act.

The table below lists approvals (other than a Development Application consent) that may apply to your development. Your development may be integrated if any of these approvals are applicable.

Act Provision and Approval Authority
Coal Mine Subsidence Compensation Act 2017

s22 – Approval to alter or erect improvements, or to subdivide land, within a mine subsidence district

Subsidence Advisory NSW
Fisheries Management Act 1994

s144 - Aquaculture permit

s2201 - Permit to carry out dredging or reclaimation work

s205 - Permit to cut, remove, damage or destroy marine vegetation on public water land or an aquaculture lease, or on the foreshore of any such land or lease

s219 - Permit to
1.(a) set a net, netting or other material
2. (b) construct or alter a dam, floodgate, causeway or weit, or
3. (c) otherwise create an obstructuion, scross or within a bay, inlet, river or creek, or across or around a flat

NSW Department of Primary Industries
Heritage Act 1977 s 58 - Approval in respect of the doing or carrying out of an act, matter or thing referred to in s 57 (1) NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
Mining Act 1992 ss 63, 64 - Grant of mining lease NSW Department of Planning and Environment - Resources and Energy
National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 s 90 - Grant of Aboriginal heritage impact permit NSW Office of Environment and Heritage
Petroleum (onshore) Act 1991 s9 - Grant of production lease NSW Environment Protection Authority
Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997

ss 43 (a), 47 and 55 - Environment protection licence to authorise carrying out of scheduled development work at any premises

ss 43 (b), 48 and 55 - Environment protection licence to authorise carrying out of scheduled activities at any premises (excluding any activity described as a "waste activity" but including any activity described as a "waste facility")

ss 43 (d), 55 and 122 - Environment protection licences to control carrying out of non-scheduled activities for the purposes of regulating water pollution resulting from the activity

NSW Environment Protection Authority
Roads Act 1993 s 138 - Consent to: 1. (a) erect a structure or carry out a work in, on or over a public road, or 2. (b) dig up or disturb the surface of a public road, or 3. (c) remove or interfere with a structure, work or tree on a public road, or 4. (d) pump water into a public road from any land adjoining the road, or 5. (e) connect a road (whether public or private) to a classified road NSW Roads and Maritime Services
Rural Fires Act 1997 s 100B - Authorisation under section 100B in respect of bush fire safety of subdivision of land that could lawfully be used for residential or rural residential purposes or development of land for special fire protection purposes NSW Rural Fire Service
Water Management Act 2000 ss 89, 90, 91 - Water use approval, water management work approval or activity approval under Part 3 of Chapter 3 NSW Department of Primary Industries - Water

Council’s process for integrated development

Once we receive a Development Application that comprises Integrated Development, Council will refer the application and any associated fee to the relevant authority to seek their “general terms of approval”.

Council cannot issue development consent if an authority refuses to issue “general terms of approval”.


Council requires payment of a $140 administration fee per integrated referral to be paid with any other Council fees applicable to the development application. A $320 fee is also applicable for each authority to undertake the referral, however, Subsidence Advisory and Roads and Maritime Services do not request a fee. The fee is payable to the relevant authority via the Department of Planning and Environments online concurrence and referral service Council are unable to accept payments on behalf of any of these referral agencies.

Post application approval

Should your application be approved, you will receive a development consent that specifies conditions, including the “general terms of approval” issued by the integrated authority.

It is your responsibility to comply with the conditions of consent specified in the approval (including the “general terms of approval”), prior to, during, and at the completion of works.

If you are unsure as to what is required by a condition of consent, you can contact Council or the relevant authority to seek clarification and/or advice.

Nominated integrated development

Nominated Integrated Development is development that requires an approval under:

  1. a provision of the Heritage Act 1977 specified in section 91 (1) of the Act, or

  2. a provision of the Water Management Act 2000 specified in section 91 (1) of the Act, or

  3. a provision of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 specified in section 91 (1) of the Act.

Nominated Integrated Development has different implications for Council, mainly with respect to the public exhibition process.

More information

If you have any further questions, please contact our Duty Planner or Duty Building Officer on 02 4921 0333.


This webpage provides a summary of key elements relating to integrated development. Any person using this information must do so on the basis that not every scenario and issue can be addressed, and discussion with relevant staff at Council should be carried out. This information is subject to change without notice.

Page last updated: 21 February 2019