Support services

For many people, living in the comfort of their own home is an important part of growing older. Yet living at home and maintaining independence is not always easy. People experiencing difficulty in carrying out household tasks, or personal care, can be assisted by a range of government funded and community service organisations that utilise volunteers.

My Aged Care

My Aged Care aims to give you more choice, more control and easier access to information and referral to a range of aged care services, including home support, garden maintenance and residential care. It is made up of a website and a national contact centre.

The contact centre can be phoned on 1800 200 422, Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturdays, 10am to 2pm, excluding public holidays.

For more information visit or phone 1800 200 422.

Assistance with your bins

Council provides a waste collection service for people who are unable to take their bin to and from the kerb.

To apply for this service, complete and return the Blue Dot Service Application Form.

Council will collect your bin from an agreed location from your property and return it to you emptied. For more information, call us on 02 4921 0333.

Remaining mobile and independent

Motorised wheelchairs and mobility scooters can help you remain mobile and independent. Primarily designed for use by people with reduced mobility, these vehicles are regarded as pedestrians. So no registration or licence is required.

View our Scooter Survival Guide for road safety advice for motorised wheelchairs, motorised scooters or gophers.

National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service

This telephone service provides counselling support to people experiencing sexual or domestic and family violence. It also provides information to people seeking guidance in how to support a friend, family member or work colleague who is experiencing sexual or family violence. Contact 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) or visit for more information.

NSW Elder Abuse Helpline and Resource Unit

The NSW Elder Abuse Helpline and Resource Unit provides information, support and referrals relating to the abuse of older people living in the community across NSW. They provide practical assistance and easy-to-understand information to older people, family members and frontline workers on ways to reduce and prevent abuse. Contact 1800 628 221 or for more information.

Carer Gateway

Carer Gateway is a national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers. Contact 1800 422 737 or for more information.

Page last updated: 09 March 2018