People with disability
Disability Inclusion Action Plan
Lake Macquarie City Council is committed to being an inclusive and accessible city for people of all abilities. The Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2017 – 2021 guides Council's planning and actions undertaken in the next four years. The plan was developed with the community to identify and break down barriers for those with disability living and working in Lake Macquarie. It is a requirement under the NSW Disability Inclusion Act 2014 that all NSW Government and local councils to prepare a coordinated and unified Disability Inclusion Action Plan by 1 July 2017.
The Plan covers the following four focus areas:
- positive community attitudes and behaviours
- liveable communities, including improvements to the physical environment
- employment opportunities
- accessible information and support services.
The Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2017-21 is available in four formats:
- Disability Inclusion Action Plan
- Disability Inclusion Action Plan: accessible format
- Disability Inclusion Action Plan: easy read format
- Disability Inclusion Action Plan: flipbook format
Ageing and Disability Panel
To ensure equity of access to services and facilities for all residents of our City, the Panel was established in 2010.
It provides Council with advice on the broad range of issues that affect seniors, people with a disability and carers, also providing information back into the community on Council services and plans.
Issues discussed include access to services and facilities, pedestrian infrastructure, transport, health, housing, support services and activities.
The panel consists of elected members from:
- local service providers (ageing and disability)
- community members from the target groups - older adults, people with a disability and their carers.
- council representatives – from Councillors to specialist staff.
For more details, read the Ageing and Disability Panel Terms of Reference.
To learn more about the Panel and see if you can become a member and for membership details, please contact our Community Planner Ageing and Disabilities on 02 4921 0333.
Activities and services
Improving quality of life for people with disability
View accessible facilities in Lake Macquarie
A month of inclusive activities for people of all abilities to enjoy.
Page last updated: 11 August 2017