Environmental sustainability grants
The Lake Macquarie Environmental Sustainability Grants Program is designed to support community-initiated projects that improve our local environment and inspire environmentally sustainable behaviour within Lake Macquarie City.
The next round of grants
The grants are offered twice a year. Applications for the next round of grants (2017-2018 round two) open on Monday 5 February and close Monday 12 March 2018.
An information session will be held on Wednesday 21 February and funds will be paid to successful applicants by the end of June 2018.
The grants process is competitive, so to ensure your application has the best chance of success, you should familiarise yourself with the Guidelines and Application Form. You should also contact the nominated Sustainability Engagement Officer on 4921 0333 to discuss your project before you apply.
Who can apply
Not-for-profit community organisations such as groups, clubs and school P&C groups located or operating within Lake Macquarie are eligible to apply.
How much money is available
Up to $3000 is available per grant application. The number of grant applications funded each round is limited.
What types of projects can receive funding
Community based sustainability projects that meet the grant guidelines and benefit the local environment and the community are eligible for funding.
Sustainability is not just about veggie gardens and compost bins, think broadly about what your group could do to:
- encourage sustainable community behaviours (for example reduce resource consumption, increase adoption of active transport).
- reduce food or general waste, or encourage the community to recycle, upcycle or swap
- educate, enrich and inspire the community through sustainability-related activities
- reduce the carbon footprint of the Lake Macquarie community
- improve biodiversity and ecosystem protection.
Key dates and timeframes
The grants are offered twice a year.·
|Applications open||Applications close||Successful applicants notified and funds made available||Project timeframe|
|5 February 2018||12 March 2018, 5pm||June 2018||July 2018-July 2019|
Wednesday 21 February 2018 from 5.30-6.30pm.
Lake Macquarie City Council Committee Room
126 -128 Main Road
This session will include:
- tips on completing the application form and budget
- an outline of the type of projects that can be funded (including examples of past projects that have been successfully funded)
- insight into how applications are assessed
- an opportunity for you to ask questions.
To reserve your spot, RSVP online or call 4921 0333.
Past projects funded
|Toronto High School Parents and Citizens||Outdoor Learning Space to incorporate native cottage and bush tucker gardens to enhance habitat, Aboriginal cultural heritage and knowledge of sustainable water management.||$3,000|
|Dudley Community Garden||Dudley Community Garden is established and active. This project seeks to value-add to the garden by developing, promoting and holding workshops to engage and educate the wider community.||$3,000|
|Redhead, LT Creek, Dudley and Toronto Areas Sustainable Neighbourhood Groups||Research, design, production and distribution of a brochure Out and About with your Dog in Lake Macquarie City to promote responsible dog care across the Lake Macquarie City.||$946|
How do I apply
- Carefully read the Guidelines for applicants and In-kind contribution information
- Attend the information session (optional but encouraged)
- Complete the application form and return to Council by 5pm on Monday 12 March 2018 by
- Delivering in person to Council’s Administration Building, 126-138 Main Rd, Speers Point
- Posting to LMCC, Box 1906, Hunter Regional Mail Centre, NSW 2310
- Emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information regarding the Lake Macquarie Environmental Sustainability Grants Program, please contact the Sustainability Engagement Officer on 02 4921 0333.
Page last updated: 22 February 2018