Environmental sustainability grants
The Lake Macquarie Environmental Sustainability Grants Program is designed to support community-initiated projects that improve our local environment and inspire environmentally sustainable behaviour within Lake Macquarie City.
Who can apply
Not-for-profit community organisations such as groups, clubs and schools located or operating within Lake Macquarie are eligible to apply.
How much money is available
Limited grants of up to $3000 are available.
What types of projects can receive funding
Community based sustainability projects that meet the grant guidelines and benefit the local environment and the community are eligible for funding.
Sustainability is not just about veggie gardens and compost bins, think about what your group could do to:
- encourage sustainable community behaviours
- reduce food or general waste
- educate, enrich and inspire the community through sustainability-related activities
- encourage the community to recycle, upcycle or swap
- reduce the carbon footprint of the Lake Macquarie community.
Priority will be given to projects that:
- demonstrate sustained reduction in resource
- assist community groups to enhance local ecosystems
- reduce the community's exposure to environmental risks, such as natural disasters
- demonstrate clear education and/or community engagement outcomes
- involve the wider-community
- have a clear, well-balanced budget and include a cash contribution
- have undertaken consultation with relevant Council staff
- assist schools to implement sustainability activities identified in a relevant Management Plan
- assist Sustainable Neighbourhood Groups to implement projects identified in their Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan (SNAP)
- assist community groups to implement actions identified in a regional or local environmental or sustainability management plan.
When are funds made available
The grants are offered twice a year.
- Applications for 2016-2017 round two will open Monday 23 January 2017 and close Monday 27 February 2017, 5pm.
Monday 6 February 2017 from 5.30-6.30pm.
81 Lakeview Street
This session will include:
- tips on completing the application form and budget
- an outline of the type of projects that can be funded
- insight into how appilcations are assessed
- examples of successful past projects funded
To reserve your spot, RSVP online or call 02 4921 0333.
Round one projects funded
|Toronto High School Parents and Citizens||Outdoor Learning Space to incorporate native cottage and bush tucker gardens to enhance habitat, Aboriginal cultural heritage and knowledge of sustainable water management.||$3,000|
|Dudley Community Garden||Dudley Community Garden is established and active. This project seeks to value-add to the garden by developing, promoting and holding workshops to engage and educate the wider community.||$3,000|
|Redhead, LT Creek, Dudley and Toronto Areas Sustainable Neighbourhood Groups||Research, design, production and distribution of a brochure Out and About with your Dog in Lake Macquarie City to promote responsible dog care across the Lake Macquarie City.||$946|
|Awabakal Heritage Eco Village Indigenous Corporation||Installation of water tank to maintain bush tucker garden, within an indigenous heritage education site.||$2,735|
How do I apply
Complete the application form and return it to our Customer Service Centre, Lake Macquarie City Council Administration Building126-138 Main Road,Speers Point, NSW,2284 or post to PO Box 1906, Hunter Regional Mail Centre,NSW,2310 or email email@example.com.
For further information regarding the Lake Macquarie Environmental Sustainability Grants Program, please contact us on 02 4921 0333.
Page last updated: 22 December 2016