Glenrock State Conservation Area
The middens, open campsites, stone quarries, caves and axe grind groovings found at Glenrock State Conservation Area are considered Aboriginal Sacred Sites.
For the Awabakal People, Glenrock State Conservation Area was a prosperous industry. Stone from Glenrock – known as Merewether chert – ochre and coal were traded with neighbouring tribal Countries throughout the region.
Being coastal and abundant with bush at the time, the variety of food available to the Awabakal People was aplenty. The Awabakal People used the many plants for food, medicine and shelter. The creeks and lagoon were a valuable water source.
Early pioneers named the area as 'glen', meaning 'narrow valley', and 'rock' due to its rugged nature. Glenrock was also known as Pillapay-Kullaitaran meaning 'Valley of the Palms', as the Cabbage Palm, Livistona australis, thrived throughout Glenrock prior to deforestation.
In 1932, the Scout Association of Australia was granted a lease of 40 hectares of land at Glenrock Lagoon and scouting activities continue to this day. Relics, rails, tunnels and shafts of early coal mining and other industrial infrastructure such as a coastal railway can still be seen throughout the landscape.
Page last updated: 22 January 2016