Media and news
Smart City, Smart Council news
- World-first smart beaches platform wins $910,000 Federal grant
Lake Macquarie City Council will develop a world-first smart beaches platform to make beaches safer, reduce the risk of coastal drownings and improve public amenities.
- Over $900,000 for Lake Macquarie City Council Smart City Project
Liberal Senator for New South Wales, Arthur Sinodinos welcomed the announcement that the Coalition Government has announced successful projects under Round Two of the smart cities and suburbs program. The Lake Macquarie City Council has received $910,185 for their Smart Beaches Project.
- Safety trial sets Fernleigh Track aglow
Hundreds of glow in the dark strips that mark the way for pedestrians and cyclists have been installed on the Fernleigh Track in a trial to improve public safety.
- Local innovations set to make Lake Mac smarter
Devices that count visitors to city parks, monitor noise levels in our streets or even log the number of times public toilets flush each day could soon help Lake Macquarie be a better place to live.
- Lighting partnership to deliver sustainable savings for Lake Macquarie
Ausgrid and Lake Macquarie City Council have partnered in a joint project to upgrade more than five thousand streetlights to more efficient LED lamps.
- Smart bench delivering power to the people
A solar-powered smart bench on the Warners Bay foreshore features wireless recharging for compatible phones, multiple USB ports and the future capacity to act as a WiFi hotspot.
- Crowdsourcing concept to track Blacksmiths shifting sands
An innovative new concept is set to harness the power of crowdsourcing to track the ever-changing shoreline of Blacksmiths Beach in Lake Macquarie.
- Switching on to the future
The launch of a citywide LoRaWAN network is a significant step in our City’s digital transformation.
- Lake Macquarie leads digital transformation
Lake Macquarie is switching on to the future with the launch of a large-scale LoRaWAN network that will create new opportunities for business and start-ups.
- New app to help monitor pollution in local waterways, on our beaches and out to sea
Do you ever pick up rubbish on your walk along the beach, take part in community clean-ups, or run litter monitoring programs?
- Portal opens to lodge Complying Development Certificates online
Lake Macquarie residents can now lodge Complying Development Certificates online as part of a NSW Government trial aimed at streamlining the building approval process.
- Lake Mac achieves its renewable energy target five years ahead of schedule
Lake Macquarie City Council has marked World Environment Day, 5 June, by announcing it has achieved its 2023 renewable energy target.
Lake Mac Digital Economy Strategy in the media
- University of Technology Sydney, 21 August 2018, TULIP blooms in Lake Macquarie
- NBN News, 09 July 2018, Lake Macquarie unveiled as the next 'Smart City'
- Government News, 20 July 2018, Lake Macquarie adopts smart city to drive jobs, innovation
- UTS, 12 December 2017, Building smart cities with the Fitbit of the environment
- Newcastle Herald, 30 November 2017, Dated mall in line for a smart makeover
- Newcastle Herald, 29 November 2017, Newcastle Transport to trial new Lake Macquarie "on demand" timetabling service in off-peak hours
- Newcastle Herald, 20 May 2017, Lake Macquarie Projects to share in $14 million
- Newcastle Herald, 04 April 2017, Opinion: Activating the Hunter's innovators
- Newcastle Herald, 04 November 2016, Double Dutch tech week for Lake Macquarie mayor
Page last updated: 31 August 2018