Council's role in an emergency
Council works with a range of emergency services agencies to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies.
The role of Council and the agencies in the event of a local emergency is set out in the Lake Macquarie Local Emergency Management Plan (EMPLAN), which is prepared by emergency services and agencies who are part of the Local Emergency Management Committee (LEMC).
The EMPLAN covers a broad range of emergencies that may occur in Lake Macquarie including:
- natural disasters
- biological hazards
- hazardous materials emergencies
- dam or other infrastructure failure
- transport infrastructure emergencies.
In major floods, storms, bushfires and other emergencies, the EMPLAN is activated.
Council's role in emergency management
Council also has key responsibilities in responding to emergencies and assisting in recovery for example:
- Council functions as a Local Emergency Operations Centre during an emergency, staffed by trained employees. Council will also provide trained officers to liaise with and support the frontline agencies involved such as the SES.
- Council is responsible for public places such as parks and roads. You should ring our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333 for advice and assistance about storm or flood damage to public places.
Council may provide engineering resources required for response and recovery operations including:
- damage assessment
- undertaking any protection works deemed necessary to combat erosion along beaches
- clearance and re-establishment of roads and bridges
- demolition and shoring-up of buildings
- removal of debris from roads and public places
- traffic management on Council managed roads
- construction and maintenance of temporary levees and evacuation routes
- installation of barricades and temporary fencing and/or signage to protect the public against unsafe conditions (eg. coastal erosion and/or inundation events)
- rescue arrangements
- recovery planning
- clean up and disposal
- environmental remediation and restoration
- disaster relief funding
Page last updated: 18 July 2018