Mobile food vending

Mobile food-vending vehicles are any means of transport designed to be movable from place-to-place which sell food or drinks.

They include vehicles, trailers, caravans, carts, wagons or similar used for: on-site food preparation (e.g. hamburgers, hot dogs and kebabs); one-step food preparation (e.g. popcorn, fairy floss, coffee and squeezing juices); and the sale of any type of food including pre-packaged food.

Mobile food-vending vehicles need to comply with the provisions of the NSW Food Act (2003), Food Regulation (2010), Food Standards Code, and the NSW Food Authority’s Guideline for Mobile Food Vending Vehicles.

Mobile food vending on public lands and roads in the Lake Macquarie City Council requires approval. This activity is restricted in some areas in the interest of road safety and so as to not interfere with established food businesses.

The sale of food from a mobile food vending vehicle may only take place with the approval of the owner or person in control of the land on which the vehicle is parked. Applications to conduct Mobile Food Vending are assessed on a case-by-case basis and consideration is given to food safety, traffic management, planning and compliance with Council policies. A Development Application may need to be lodged in some cases depending on the proposed use.

Required approvals

If you wish to operate a mobile food vending vehicle in the Lake Macquarie area, please use this decision tool to help you determine which approvals you will require.

Find out which approvals you require

How to operate a mobile food vehicle in Lake Macquarie

  1. All mobile food vehicles including those at temporary events are required to provide evidence of a current food safety inspection. Vehicle inspections can be conducted by any Council in NSW, are valid for 12 months and can be renewed on an annual basis. If you have recently moved into the Lake Macquarie area and your vehicle has a current inspection approval from another NSW council, you are encouraged to register your food business with us. To do this, you will need to provide a copy of your current inspection approval with your application.

  2. The use of a vehicle to sell food in a public place that is, land owned or controlled by the Council, requires the prior approval from the Council. If intending to vend on public roads, parks or other public places in Lake Macquarie, apply for Council approval on an annual basis. Vending at organised events is exempt from this requirement, but will require approval from the event organiser. 


Help and further information

Service NSW’s Easy To Do Business service provides a personal concierge to guide and support you through the small business journey, from obtaining information to applying for registrations, licences and approvals. You can choose to speak to the concierge team between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday on 13 77 88 or access their online tool.

You can also choose to speak directly to Council on 02 4921 0333 between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

Page last updated: 28 June 2018