The Sustainable Neighbourhoods Program empowers community members to act on local environmental, sustainability and community initiatives. The program aims to:
- Protect and enhance the natural environment.
- Reduce individual, household, and collective resource consumption.
- Develop community capacity to prepare for and respond effectively to environmental threats such as natural disasters.
- Encourage community spirit, and increase community resilience, connectedness and wellbeing.
- Encourage and enable people to participate fully and equitably in community life.
- Promote community responsibility and management for sustainable outcomes.
Sustainable Neighbourhood groups consist of community volunteers who work together on a range of projects. Each group develops a Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan to identify their community vision, values and project priorities.
The Lake Macquarie Sustainable Neighbourhood Alliance Inc. supports Sustainable Neighbourhood Groups across the City.