Planning information and advice

In most cases, you'll need some form of approval to:

  • construct something on your property
  • make alterations or additions to an existing development
  • change the use of an existing building or premises
  • demolish a structure or building
  • carry out earthworks, fill or clear land
  • remove vegetation
  • install a sign
  • operate, install or alter an onsite sewage management system
  • operate a mobile business
  • subdivide land
  • adjust property boundaries

It can be daunting to try and determine what approval you need and how to obtain it. Here's a few options to assist you:

Customer Service Centre

Our Customer Service Centre is your best option for general enquiries relating to building and development.

Building and Duty Planning Officers

If you need more help, you can speak with one of our Duty Building or Duty Planning Officers, free of charge.

By phone

Speak to a Duty Building or Duty Planning Officer by calling 4921 0333 between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday


  • Email a Duty Building Officer or Duty Planning Officer

Email now

In person

Duty Building and Duty Planning Officer are available from 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday, at our Customer Service Centre

Concept and pre-lodgement meetings

The Duty Building or Duty Planning Officer may recommend booking a pre-lodgement or concept Meeting, if more detailed advice is needed or your development proposal is larger or more complex.

Pre-lodgement meeting

A pre-lodgement meeting is an opportunity for Council staff to provide early feedback on your proposal and specific investigations. It also give us a chance to highlight any concerns or issues that you'll need to address prior to lodging your application. A fee is payable upon request of your meeting.

Concept meeting

A concept meeting gives you the opportunity to meet with a Development Assessment Officer for a preliminary discussion about the broad concepts and site constraints relating to your proposed development. It is an informal meeting with no fixed agenda, but you may bring plans if you have them. Key discussion points are documented and distributed to attendees after the meeting. A fee is payable upon request of your meeting.

Request a pre-lodgement of concept meeting

Engage a consultant

Depending on the type of development you are proposing, you may wish to engage the services of a specialist consultant, such as a town planner, surveyor or architect, to provide planning and development advice and assist you in preparing your application.

What influences the type of approval required?  

Several factors influence what approvals are required for a proposed development. These include:

  • Land zoning – the proposed development must be permitted in the zone where it is to occur
  • Property conditions – the proposed development must be suitable given any flooding, bushfire, heritage, contamination, geotechnical, ecological and other constraints that apply to the property
  • Current approvals – the existing approvals that apply to the property will influence what additional approvals may be required for the proposed development
  • Planning controls – the planning controls applicable to the land and the type of development proposed will affect the type of approval required