Modification Application

You may apply to modify your development consent or construction certificate provided that the proposed development as modified is still substantially the same development. Section 4.55 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 stipulates the requirements for modification of consents and Section 148 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 stipulates that requirements for the modification of a construction certificate.

If the proposed modification does not meet the requirements of Section 4.55, you may need to lodge a new development application.


Step 1.Register or Sign in

To modify your development consent or construction certificate online, you must register or log in via the NSW Planning Portal.

Register or sign in

Step 2.Gather your documents

A range of plans and documents, supporting your proposal must be submitted with your application. The specific plans and documents will varying depending on your development.

In order to submit this application, you need to identify what the type of modification your proposal is:

  • minor modification - 4.55(1a) - for minor changes with minimal impact
  • other modification - 4.55(2) - for other changes where environmental impact is possible, however the development is still substantially the same as what was approved
  • error, misdescription or miscalculation - 4.55(1) - where an error, misdescription or miscalculation has been made
  • modification of consent granted by court - section 4.56

As part of this application, the applicants must also complete a disclosure of political donations or gift form. This form needs to be upload as part of the application process.

For advice on what to submit or what type of modification your proposal is classified as, contact our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, and ask to speak to a Duty Officer.

Step 3.Pay

Lodgement fees will be calculated by Council staff and provided to you in writing after we've received your Modification Application.

Your Modification Application will not be determined until all outstanding fees have been paid.

Step 4.Lodge

Once you have all the required documentation, you're ready to lodge your Modification Application. You'll need to upload electronic versions of the required documentation in order to complete your application.