Lodge a Public Works Certificate

A Public Works Certificate (PWC) is required when there are works within the public domain there are not required to facilitate a subdivision.

For example, if a footpath is required to be installed in front of a new childcare centre, the Development Application will require a PWC to be lodged by the applicant and approved by Council, prior to the construction of the footpath.


Step 1.Register or Sign in

To lodge a Public Works Certificate online, you must register or log in via the NSW Planning Portal.

Register now or login

Step 2.Gather your documents

Applications for a Public Works Certificate must be accompanied by:

  • a site plan
  • detailed engineering plans that may include but not be limited to:
    • earthworks
    • roadworks including pavement designs, intersection treatments, signage and line marking
    • access ways or driveway details
    • stormwater drainage details and calculations
    • landscaping or street tree planting details and specifications
    • erosion and sediment control works 
    • a construction management plan
    • vegetation management plan
  • public liability insurance (minimum $20 million)
  • any specific details required to be submitted in accordance with conditions of development consent
  • details about the payment of the Building Construction Industry Long Service Leave Levy for building works as required (if already paid)

Step 3.Apply

Once you've registered and gathered your documents, you can apply online for a Public Works Certificate. You'll need to upload electronic versions of the required documentation in order to complete your application.

Apply now

Step 4.Pay

You will not be required to pay a fee for the electronic lodgement of this application. Applicable fees will be calculated by staff and provided to you in writing as soon as possible after you lodge your application. Your application will not be determined until all outstanding fees have been paid.