Pool fencing requirements
In line with legislation, outdoor swimming pools must be enclosed by a fence that acts as a child-resistant barrier. The fence must separate the swimming pool from any residential building situated on the premises and from any adjoining or private properties.
The fence must be designed, constructed, installed and maintained in accordance with Australian Standard AS1926.1-2012 - Safety Barriers for Swimming Pools.
Swimming pool fence requirements
- Internal swimming pool fencing height must be at least 1.2m high around the perimeter, measured on the outside of the building
- Boundary fence must be 1.8m high, measured from inside the swimming pool enclosure
- There must be a minimum 900mm separation between the upper and lower horizontal components of the fence to maintain a non-climbable zone
- The gap between the bottom of the fence and finished ground level must not exceed 100mm.
- The gap between each barrier component must not exceed 100mm.
- The non-climbable zone must extend 300mm from the barrier into the swimming pool area and 900mm outside the swimming pool area
- All swimming pool fencing must be in good condition with no broken or loose pailings
- There must be no objects, such as barbecues, furniture, planter boxes, trees or shrubs, within 900mm of the fence, which could allow a child to climb over the fence
- Gates to the swimming pool area must open outwards and must be fully self-closing and self-latching from any open position, including from resting against the latch itself
- An appropriate resuscitation sign must be displayed in the immediate vicinity of the swimming pool area
This is not a complete list of requirements. Please refer to the Australian Standard for detailed legislation and requirements. There are provisions for older swimming pool to comply with older versions of the Standards.
Is your pool located at the access point of you property or on a foreshore?
Access to and from residential buildings or the waterfront must be outside the swimming pool enclosure and not through the swimming pool area.